the Trash vitae

Trash is the editor-in-chief of an independent Colorado micro-publisher/ design studio. I dabble in digital photography, the lost art of film image making, and guerilla digital video. DrMAC Studios specializes in books and videos on self-reliance, gardening, dumpster diving, urban foraging and living off the excesses of others.
This blog documents my daily experiences with the rest of the world

Saturday, August 16, 2008

them and us 2: the homegrown Xtracycle grocery carrier


I saw the Xtra cycle attachment on a bike this week on campus.. Typical yuppie. SAid he bought it to carry groceries on the bike to conserve gas.. His cost $399 for the kit and about 2-3 hours of work.

Mine on the other hand came off of a dumpie Schwinn bike (circa 1967) that I brought home to part out. Attached with about 15=20 minutes of work (as all hardware fit nicely) on the dumpie bike.Mine has held bags of groceries, dumpie finds, and even transported Junior dumpie boy (about 65 -70 pounds) with nary a struggle. You can see from the pic (taken at the beginning of the summer) that my version of the $11 water bottle is sitting right there in the basket waiting for me to satisfy some thirst.. I still am using it.

I wish he would have come to me first . He could have paid me $399 for the whole dumpie bike and I could have gone out and found another one and pocketed at least $350. Darn

2 comments:

SiouxGeonz said...

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it -- oops, that would defeat the whole "us vs. them" concept. Now there's something...

Trashdigger said...

thanx for the comment. Glad to see them getting bought. I was just shocked at the sticker price just to haul groceries home. On my last bike I used a skateboard attached to a bike rack on the bike with cloth saddle bags attached using ceiling hooks to hold em.

For that cost I could buy a whole Burley or BOB trailer and prob still have some change..

BTW its us and them .. no competion just comparisons.