the Trash vitae

Trash is the editor-in-chief of an independent Colorado micro-publisher/ design studio. I dabble in digital photography, the lost art of film image making, and guerilla digital video. DrMAC Studios specializes in books and videos on self-reliance, gardening, dumpster diving, urban foraging and living off the excesses of others.
This blog documents my daily experiences with the rest of the world

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday fun

bfast- boloney sandies and lettuce, coffee
lunch-- lettuce and cuke salad- dumpster find, water bottle
dinner-- chicken tenders cheesey fries kool aid cherry

Well it was a fun Saturday and Sunday-- while turnng on the sprinkler to water the veggies yesterday I heard the lovely sound of water gushing under the house. Apparently with the heat getting so high and the water heater being outside the pressure release valve mechanism sprung a leak. I tried resetting it and cleaning the corrosion out but apparently that wasnt good enough.

The darn thing had met its calling.. This morning I went out to assess the overnight damage and realized it was just a nice pool under the house. The crud I cleaned out was enough to take the gush down to a drip.

I figured since I was going to Lowies anyway to get a new pressure release valve I might as well geto off my lazy butt and check out the rest of the plumbing under the house. Lo and behold I founf another small leak in the kitchen hot water line.. That one was easy enough as I keep some extra fittings around just in case. So I grabbed the dumpie light and crawled under the house to fix it.. Took about 10 mins and we were back in biz. BUt the PR valve still needed handling. Went over to Lowies and picked one up after stopping at Wallies to get bike tube for daughter.

CAme home with the supplies and figured I would get to work when it cooled down (almost 100 degrees again). Took the kiddos swimming and cooled off awhile til the roar of thunder and rain began to fall. MAde it home and closed up the water heater closet and skirt just in time before the 30 minute rain storm came gushing down. After it stopped and I enjoyed the clean smell of fresh rain air I went about my biz of changing the valve.

Now the WWW is loaded with lots of hints and instructions on doing just about anything. And this time they were right on the money. They suggested shutting off the water and having the new valve ready to go as you loosened the old one . I did and the old valve came off with a few light pounds of the hammer on the plumbers wrench and a few turns later the old valve was off and I grabbed the new one, already plumber taped and screwed it in. A few wrench turns to tighten ad it was done. Turned the water on and wala no leaking valve.. Attached the overflow pipe and I was done. NO more leak.
Thank you WWW
I can now add replacing pressure release valves to my plumbing skillset.

No comments: