the Trash vitae

Trash is the editor-in-chief of an independent Colorado micro-publisher/ design studio. I dabble in digital photography, the lost art of film image making, and guerilla digital video. DrMAC Studios specializes in books and videos on self-reliance, gardening, dumpster diving, urban foraging and living off the excesses of others.
This blog documents my daily experiences with the rest of the world

Monday, September 29, 2008

a working staycation

After the time off during the DNC a few weeks ago I am now taking a real staycation inorder to get some stuff done around the 'stead in preparation for the coming cold months and the inevitablility of the glkoom of the Depression upon us. America is ripe for the coming times ahead both economically and socially. For a long time now the dividing line between the rich and poor has been expanding. The middle of the road is leaning more and more towards empathy towards the poor as more and more of the used to be middle are swinging our way and spiralling down to join us.

This past weekend we at the 'stead have become the proud owners of a recycled wood stove and accessories. One of my cohorts in Babylon had been storing it for years in his garage as it was freebied to him. And his wife didnt like it. SO as of now I have an alternative heating method for the house in case of power outage during the winter. The cost to me.. as usual a barter for a 6 pack of good beer. I HATE CASH..
All it needs is a good cleaning to remove the dust,obtain a grate for cooking, the hook is already there to place a dutch oven in for meals, and a flue pipe to lead the smoke up and away.. As with all good comes a not so good.. The digital camera I use for pics suddenly doesnt work any more so I must scavenge another.
My next goal is two-fold. First and foremost I am in want of a portable gas generator to supplant electrical needs on a short term basis. And a couple of guns both for hunting and protection in these coming times. I figure a good 12-gauge, a 22 rifle and a 9mm ought to suffice. I will be scavenging the dumpies and the CL for these items in the near future.

Lastly , since my goal of building the pallet shed fell thru I must now figure a way to creat a small green house able to withstand the CO winter and provide alternative sustenance of goodies for the coming months. I have a few ideas roaming thru my head as I write but nothing substatnive as of yet.

As I go thru this week I will prob be posting more so enjoy

No comments: