the Trash vitae

Trash is the editor-in-chief of an independent Colorado micro-publisher/ design studio. I dabble in digital photography, the lost art of film image making, and guerilla digital video. DrMAC Studios specializes in books and videos on self-reliance, gardening, dumpster diving, urban foraging and living off the excesses of others.
This blog documents my daily experiences with the rest of the world

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lowes blows...

After making a cuppla bucks last night on a CL sale of stuff I dumpied, I took a bike ride on the dumpie bike over to Lowes to check out their clearance plants to see what kind of food plants didnt sell too well. Man was I f'n surprised. racks and racks of dead/ near dead plants at 50-75 percent off. The only thing I can think is that they bought way too much, and given the sorry state of economic affairs they didnt sell. Now they cant afford to water the tenderlings so they are letting them die. I wish they would just put them out to the dumpie so some kind hearted plant lovers could grab them up either to revive or use in the compost bin. But alas. I gues old man Lowes will try to profiteer off of the near dead plants as long as he can.

Being that I was on the dumpie bike and had to be particular what I rescued I grabbe a cuppla grape vines (still in pretty good shape) for $4 each (regularly $20 ea) and planted them in the baskets of the dumpiebike and rode home. The grapes may not be good this year as its a tad late in the season but the leaves will be good for stuffed grape leaves at the very least.

On the way back I saw a cuppla signs for a moving sale so I dropped off the grapes , grabbed a refill on my coffee and rode over to see what kind of deals I could find. Got a pair of jeans (Levis- Strauss) in one size bigger than my usual for $2 and a tamale/ corn pot with canning attachments for another $2. Also picked up the SUnday paper that was laying in front of an empty house (victim of a foreclosure as the notice was on the front door) .

All in all a successful SUnday morning

No comments: